Improve the physical and mental health of adolescents and youths by appropriately addressing all risk factors and health concerns of this age group in order to ensure their overall growth and development.
Priority Target groups:
All adolescents in Bhutan will be covered under this strategy; however disadvantaged adolescents as outlined in the National Youth Policy, will be priority target groups:
- Out of school adolescents
- under-employed and employed adolescents
- Adolescents engaging in risky behaviors
- Young monks and nuns, orphans, marginalized adolescents in rural and hard to reach areas
- Girls and women
The strategy will address several health issues including:
- Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health (ASRH)
- HIV (including STI)
- Nutrition and micronutrient deficiencies
- Mental Health
- Use of tobacco, alcohol and other psychoactive substances
- Injuries and violence (including road safety)
- Hygiene and Sanitation including oral health
- Environmental and occupational health of adolescents
- Develop and deliver a comprehensive life skill based information package and curriculum that focuses on improving health and well being of adolescent and youth.
- Provide a safe and supportive environment to adolescents and youths through evidence-based, cost-effective policy and program interventions targeting adolescents and youth in all settings.
- Set up Youth Friendly Health Services Clinics and increase their availability, access and utilization of such clinics.
- Provide adolescents with support, opportunities and resources they require in order to actively engage in implementation and decision-making processes.
- Enhance communication, coordination and collaboration with stakeholders to strengthen and sustain partnership in implementing Adolescent Health Program.
- Strengthen availability and use of strategic information on indicators of interest concerning adolescent’s health for planning, implementing and evaluation of adolescent health program.
- Apply innovative approaches to use mass media campaigns and advocacy on health of adolescents and youths.
- Ensure sustainability of adolescent health services through systematic planning, integration with other services and provision of resources.
NCDD, Department of Public Health