5th Biennial Health Conference
Venue: Professional Development Center, Tsirang
Day 1- 17th September 2019
The 5th Biennial Health Conference (BHC) of the Ministry of Health kicked off today at the Professional Development Centre in Tsirang. The theme of the conference is ‘Enhancing Integrated People-Centered Health Services’. The theme is aptly selected to suit the changing times and needs recognizing the importance of ensuring access to health services that meet people’s life course needs. Chronic conditions that require long-term care are on the rise due to increase in ageing population, urbanization and the globalization of unhealthy lifestyles. Thus, the theme demonstrates the Ministry of Health’s call to move away from hospital-based and disease-based curative care models to a model where people and communities are at the center of health services.
The Opening Ceremony was graced by His Excellency the Finance Minister, Lyonpo Namgay Tshering. The Health Minister, Health Secretary, Dasho Dzongdas of Tsirang, Dagana and Sarpang, Members of Parliament, WHO Representative, Resident Representative of World Bank, Representative from UNICEF, various categories of health workforce and representatives from the allied health agencies and other key agencies were also present. During the opening ceremony:
- the Recognition Award was awarded to 5 Volunteer Health Workers (VHWs) for their enormous contribution to the health system at the grass-root level
- Appreciation Award was awarded to 3 retired nurses to acknowledge their dedicated services to the country
- the Patient Safety Day was officially launched
- the Grievance Redressal Hotline (1414) was launched
- Symbolic handing over of AV Equipment to the districts was done
The conference is expected to provide a platform to deliberate on issues related to people-centered health services, other key issues faced by the health sector and for dissemination of key findings of studies.
The conference is scheduled from 17 to 19 September 2019.